Skip to main content

Makati Mayor Binay Frowns Bangsamoro

Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay described as "bad precedent" the scuttled Bangsamoro Juridical Entity (JBE) agreement between the national government and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) that would eventually expand the territory of the Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (ARMM) apparently in exchange for an end of insurgency.

Binay, who was touted to throw his hat in the top position of the country, made his presence felt in the province for three days of roaming around and meeting local officials and his brothers in the Alpha Phi Omega fraternity.

A Boholano couple (names withheld) who are in Iligan City where they based their business also expressed fears that the city might end up shrank in its territorial scope because some of its barangays are included in the proposed JBE. They said that the people of Iligan were caught flat footed since there was no consultation made by the JBE proponents. The same concern being felt in the southern parts of Mindanao.

The scheduled signing of the JBE Memorandum of Agreement last week was spoiled after the Supreme Court issued a restraining order against the signing. SC was acting on a petition filed by North Cotabato Vice-Gov. Emmanuel PiƱol.

Binay minced no words that JBE is an apparent attempt to carve out a "state within a state" during the press conference at Miravilla Resort in this city just about two hours prior to his flight back to Makati last Friday.

He said that the proponents of the JBE did not even bother to consult the people affected in areas where MILF by way of the JBE is to govern.

He said that JBE would eventually have their own security force and even can have power in foreign affairs.

He cited Iligan City as one of the areas affected that its officials are up in arms against the proposed creation of JBE.

Binay met with provincial officials and paid a courtesy call to Vice-Gov. Julius Caesar Herrera and was the guest of the meeting of the Bohol chamber of Commerce and Industry.

He signed a sisterhood venture between Makati city and Loay town represented by Mayor Rosemarie Imboy and had river sruising in Loboc where he was welcomed by Mayor Leon Calipusan.

He also went to as far as Garcia-Hernandez to visit the Basic Training of the Boy Scouts of the Philippines and Getafe town in the north and Danao town led by Mayor Louie Thomas Gonzaga for another two sisterhood signings between Makati and Getafe and Danao.

Popular posts from this blog

Antonio Ong Guat, the founder of Bohol Quality Store

From Sunday Post   I pay my sincerest condolences to Antonio Ong Guat, the founder of Bohol Quality Store . My family especially my late Mom owed a lot of gratitude to him. Little is known of the fact that my Mom as a school teacher, was making school teaching charts with her crude rubber printing set. I used to accompany her to Tagbilaran to buy her supplies at Bohol Quality Store, and bought her supplies direct from Ong Guat. Suki niya si Ong Guat to the point that he would attend to her when she goes to the store. In fact, nagpapautang pa siya ni Mom, which she paid when she sold her teaching materials to the new teachers. I suggest that the provincial and city governments should honor Ong Guat with a posthumous award in recognition of his efforts to be the founder of a business empire in Bohol, which has presently employed thousands of Boholanos presently. I think everybody agrees that his store sparked business to its fullest heights today. Fred Ong and his wife Babs Gonzaga we...

Jagna Bohol Fiesta Celebration

By Gregorio Tavera     The local government unit (LGU) of Jagna, in coordination with the private sector and the local offices of some national government agencies, yesterday launched the nine-day string of shows set at 7:30 every night in prelude to the town fiesta on September 29, to honor of St. Michael, The Archangel.        The first burst of fun was the performance of Loboc Youth Ambassadors Band that started at 7:30 last night at the Jagna Gym, sponsored by national, provincial and LGU officials and employees.        Earlier, barangay Canju-ao sponsored the first of the nine-day novena and the mass celebrated by Fr. Bepi Trabajo at the St. Michael, the Archangel Parish Church at 4:30 in the afternoon.        The daily novena and mass set every 4:30 p.m. at the St. Michael, the Archangel Parish Church continues until Sunday next week, the ninth day, through the ...

No More NPA Rebels in Bohol

The communist insurgency in Bohol has been crushed, making it as the first province in the country to meet the deadline set by President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo before she steps down in June 2010, according to the Office of the Presidential Adviser on the Peace Process (OPAPP). The deadline is to defeat the left-leaning New People's Army (NPA). The declaration was made by Bohol Governor Erico B. Aumentado and Col. Allan Luga, commander of the 802nd Brigade of the Philippine Army based on the island province some 600 kilometers south of Manila. OPAPP said Aumentado made the announcement during a meeting at the Bohol Tropics Resort last Tuesday. The session was attended by a delegation from Columbia's Office of the High Commissioner for Peace led by Alejandro Eder, political advisor of the Office of the High Presidential Counselor for Reintegration. Other members of the Columbian delegation were Miguel Suarez, Ms. Maria Lucia Uepigue and Ms. Andrea Salazar. While in Bohol, they...