Tagbilaran Canal To Be Cut Off

30 days is all it takes for city mayor Dan Lim to spend on "due process" after which will wield the strong arm of the law.  

Within the next 30 days deadline, the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) shall have issued notices and establishments should have voluntarily disconnected their taps. 

And then the axes start falling, Mayor Lim reiterated during a recent drainage coordination meeting at the Mansion. 

Present during the meeting were DPWH District engineer Celestino Adlaon, representatives from the regional office, Provincial Environment Officer Nestor Canda, City Mayor Dan Lim, representatives from Hanjin Heavy Industries Incorporated and Pacific Consultants.  

Bohol Governor Erico Aumentado called for the meeting in hopes to finally resolve the issues behind the controversial drainage overflows flooding a city thoroughfare. 

The overflow has been ascribed to a conduit closed by the local environment authorities to stop sewage from polluting the sea off Tagbilaran Bay.  

The project consultants allegedly allowed the "illegal tapping" of commercial and residential establishments along Carlos P. Garcia Avenue to tap on the drainage; designed as a storm drain. 

Himself clearly irritated by more finger pointing, this time from Hanjin Heavy Industries representatives during the meeting called Tuesday, Lim said he only needs the presence of technical men during the day he cuts the connections of those who refuse to do it voluntarily.  

With Hanjin balking, Lim says now he only needs the local environment office to be with them. 

Last week, Mayor Lim has chalked the deadline before the city government would forcibly disconnect the taps to assure that only rainwater run-off goes out of the drainage out-pour located at the dela Serna lot along Graham Avenue.  

During the meeting, the governor also instructed PENRO Nestor Canda to monitor the water quality in San Jose and all the vicinities of Tagbilaran Bay so as to make sure that the possible water contamination, if any would be within tolerable limits.  

Moreover, the governor also asked Canda to furnish the DPWH and the city government a copy of 31 illegal tap violators so as to facilitate the government's next move.